Thursday, November 24, 2011

Is "Black Friday" worth it?

Is "Black Friday" worth it?
by Samantha Aldrich
Sports Editor, Flyer Flash


------

Shoppers are getting their credit cards and cash ready. 


Black Friday and Cyber Monday are fast approaching and no matter what age, all need to buy gifts for loved ones.


Mrs. Gifford said, “I try to avoid shopping on that day. It’s too crazy. But my favorite store is Target.”


Black Friday is always the Friday after Thanksgiving, which means that Cyber Monday is always the Monday after Thanksgiving.


People are out in droves looking for deals trying to get their shopping done early and cheaply.



Some deals include: Free shipping and handling, 50-75% off of a whole store including Clearance and Buy one get one free type deals.


People sit outside, camp outside of the stores, and stay up late to wait for the doors to open.


“I occasionally shop on Black Friday, but now that I can drive I might more. I don’t shop on Cyber Monday though.” replied Hayley Gatchell when asked about what she does when that day comes.


This takes place all around the US and in some parts of the world.


“I love to shop. My sister and I carry around whistles through the store so we can find each other. My favorite place to shop is definitely Kohl's,” answered one of our very own, Ms. Miller. “Also, my favorite website to shop on is sephora.com. Even though I haven’t shopped on Cyber Monday yet.”


Black Friday is known as Black Friday because in the past when stores were having a profit it would be written in black ink. When in debt or not doing so well it would be written in red. Hence: Black Friday.


Last years statistics for the Friday were very high.


A crazy number of 212 million shoppers visited stores and websites over the holiday weekend.


The average amount spent by a consumer ranked at $365.34. That’s a 6 percent increase from 2009.


It seems like no matter how far down the economy plummets from this recession, people are still shopping and spending away for the holidays to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment